So I thought I would collate everything we know about BT Basic+Broadband so far here to hopefully make it all easier to find:
1. '99%' of people should not have to pay line installation charges for BT Basic even without an existing line (see comments for more info on this)
2. Total cost is £9.95/mth but paid quarterly so some budgeting may be needed for some people (£5.10/mth for landline inc. £1.50 calls, £4.85/mth broadband add-on)
3. Has to be applied for using special application form and only account holder (account holder to be?) can apply. Trying to switch through normal channels will probably lead to wrong product. Application form request number is 0800 800 864 (8am-6pm Mon-Fri). Application form 'must be returned within 14 days' (!!)
4. BT Basic only available for (most) people on
Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
Pensions Credit (Guaranteed Credit)
Employment Support Allowance (Income related)
5. Eligibility is checked with DWP and application can take one month.
6. Anecdotally, it seems some BT advisers may easily be confused by the similar terms " BT basic broadband" (i.e. to them BT's entry-level standard offer) and "BT Basic plus broadband" (i.e. what we are talking about here, their social offer). Therefore it is likely best to deal with BT through the above number and ensure applicant refers to "BT Basic with broadband" to minimise risk of confusion
7. There is a small charge for the router (not stated but expect around £4-5.99)
8. Important that users are aware there is a 10GB/mth data limit and so *really* not suitable for more than a very small usage of video streaming. Should be enough for basic browsing/emailing/surfing however. Excess charges WILL apply for exceeding the 10GB (an email warning sent when getting close but we know not all people read their emails!) which would quickly make an unlimited deal better value if regularly exceeding
9. Calls - UK landline calls 11.3p per minute with a call set up fee of 3.3p. Calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers free at weekends and BT Basic is exempt from any payment processing fees.
Additional information: Service also includes parental control offer, unlimited access to wifi hotspots, BT Sports app and online player (a really bad idea given data cap!), 5GB cloud storage. Landline includes free BT Privacy and caller display.
BT's Guide to BT Basic can be downloaded here in PDF http://www.bt.com/includingyou/redesign2012/assets/downloads/BTBasi...
Add a Comment