Digital Housing Hub - #digihousing

where social housing providers meet to help their residents embrace the web

So have some new laptops we bought a month or two ago to lend to learners for job search etc. and am considering the pros and cons of upgrading to Windows 10. As you may know Windows 10 makes it difficult to opt out of automatic upgrades (potentially problematic on limited data 3G/4G connectivity, but I believe solvable) and in particular has raised a lot of privacy concerns.

So if we leave the information sharing switched on, may need to do a lot of rehearsing with borrowers about what information is being shared (believe it is impossible to switch *all* info-sharing off? And some services limited if sharing switched off of course). what are other people's thoughts on best balance to strike? Set-up limited accounts without the full email-linked account to download "apps"?

What are people's impressions of it so far and the advantages of having it?

Views: 77

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi James, Windows 10 is fascinating! It has wiped out two machines that I've had to repair so far (one unsucessfully). It may be a case of stick with what you have or commit fully and whince. I'd strongly recommend taking a full disc image before you upgrade (and I don't mean a windows back up), just in case.

I trust you're well? :)

Very well thanks! Hope you're well too?

Yes, I just took the plunge on my home laptop last week and the jury is still out. I'm not really seeing any performance improvement that I had been led to expect so far (was on W7), and given that it is an (older) i5 I'd expected to be more impressed, but it doesn't seem to really have recovered any speed that I have picked up.

It didn't like that I had my libraries on the D: partition very much and I haven't gotten round to working out how to redirect them there again..

Hey,

Upgraded from 8.1 to 10. It is better than 8.1 - definitely boots up faster. Anything is better than Win 8!

Not clear on exactly what the privacy concerns are, or how they differ from any other other piece of internet tech - seems we sign our privacy away for all sorts of apps - social media in particular.

Edge Browser is rubbish, tho if you have a touchscreen device it may be better.

It bing bongs at you at all sorts of annoying moments - i've not had a chance to really delve into the settings yet and turn them off (getting my head around ios9 and Chrome too, volunteer is looking into win 10).

Most annoying thing it did was randomly move my files around, i.e. films now put into a downloads folder. Once i'd found them, was fine with it.

I'd like to have a rummage with Ubuntu at some point, so many OS, so little time...

Hi Hannah

Here's one take on the privacy settings http://lifehacker.com/what-windows-10s-privacy-nightmare-settings-a...

For digital inclusion, the most pertinent issues for many, in my opinion, may well be the data requirements - with the amount of information that windows 10 wants to push to the cloud, not to mention it being difficult to turn off automatic updates (and no I don't think you can easily even schedule them for later) makes a headache for anyone on a cheap 3/4G data deal where they are likely to be getting 1GB/mth. Of course anyone on 1GB/mth and with an older device is going to struggle to update to 10 anyway...

cheers ill pass it on.

Devices seem to be needing a lot more data overall - my new 4G phone just eats it compared to my old one.

Again we are back to the issue of data poverty...

Yes I don't think that's going away. BT Basic probably a good idea for many who can get it. And as our work shows quite well, signposting people to saving money online to offset/outweigh the data costs.

One would hope that data costs would mimic the costs of other IT requirements such as processing power and memory, but Moore's Law not seeming to hold true so far.... Nevertheless I hope we will see reduction in per byte costs sometime soon.

RSS

TWITTER: #digihousing

Members

Videos

• Add Videos

Events

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2017   Created by Ben Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service